Au Pair in France - oooh la la
We work with a leading French au pair agency, who have been established in France since 1991. They are based in Paris so place au pairs in Paris and surrounding suburbs.
We have many french families looking for an au pair all year round, but many of them apply for the school year which is September to July. This is why many families require au pairs to start in July, August or September for 10 or 12 months. We place au pairs for 10-12 months.
Can I apply to be a French Au Pair?
- You should be aged 18 - 27
- You should be a non-smoker
- Unless you are placed in Paris you will need a clean driving licence (full)
- You should have a good understanding of the French language (we recommend 2 years minimum at high school)
- You will need to have some good experience with children and be able to supply us with some non family references that we can check
- You need to study French at a language school during your stay - as part of the visa
Families in Paris live, most of the time, in apartments and have a room for the au pair which is not in the apartment but either at the top of their building or in the neighbourhood. So applicants need to know that certain independence is required in Paris since the au pairs don't usually live with the families 24/7. Suburban positions are more classic and ideal for those who want to share the every day life of the family.
To be Au Pair in a screened french family means;
- you will work 30 hours per week plus 2 nights babysitting
- you will mostly look after the kids and you will have to do some light housework.
- you will receive from the family 80 Euro per 30 hour week, or 100 Euros for a 35 hour week.
- You will receive a Monthly Metro Ticket (Carte Orange)
- you will have your own bedroom
- you will have at least one day off per week and at least one full weekend off per month.
- you will receive full board and accommodation.
- We have families everywhere in France, we do not place only in Paris, you must be prepared to go to any where in France.
- stay for a minimum of 10 months but it's best is to stay for 12 months. (A summer placement - for a maximum of 3 months from June till September is also possible)
- attend a french course at least once a week - you will be responsible for the cost - (the family will help you find the right french course)
- pay for your travel to to France and back - see our travel department
- send your completed application to us by mail and we will contact you.
Language courses are mandatory in France and are at the au pair's expense. Our team assists all au pairs to find the most suitable language course. Our French partner does the pre registration at the language school which is required for the visa.
Prices vary from one school to another but the average price is 400 Euros per trimester. Please note language courses do not operate in the French summer.
Our French Au Pair Partner have offices in central Paris so are always there for you to call, or visit.
Contact our own travel department about flight quotes to France - Travelcafe
- The application form filled in Black ink
- A dear host family letter in French (explaining your family background, experiences with children, motivation for the au pair programme, personality etc...)
- 2 passport pictures
- 2 childcare references from families (with French translation attached)
- 1 character reference from a former employer, teacher... (with French translation attached)
- a recent medical certificate or letter from a doctor stating you are fit and healthy enough to work in France as an au pair
- a photo page with photos of you with; family, friends and children you have taken care of
- a copy of a secondary school certificate with a certified translation in French
- a birth certificate with a certified translation
- a copy of your passport
- a criminal record check certificate (please complete our form and mail to us for processing with the Police)
- a pre registration at school will also be necessary to obtain a visa - we will help organise this after placement is confirmed
- $300 registration fee/programme fee. This is refunded if we do not accept your application - however if you are accepted and then subsequently change your mind - no fees are refundable.
To be an au pair you will need to apply for a Student Visa, hence the pre-registration at a language school. Once placed we will organise the pre-registration at the school and send the documents to you, then you can take those with your visa application documents to the French Embassy to apply for your visa. This takes about 6-8 weeks as the papers need to be signed by the Department of Labour in France so you should plan to apply about 3 months before you would like to leave (minimum).