Au Pair in Canada
We have lovely live in au pair positions available in Canada and you can apply if you have some babysitting experience and are eligible for the Working Holiday Visa. You will be placed before you fly so wait until then to book your flights.
To be eligible for the Working Holiday Visa, you must:
- be an NZ or Australian citizen;
- be between the ages of 18 and 30 (inclusive) at the time the application is received. Your visa application must be stamped as received by the Consulate General of Canada in Sydney on or after the 18th birthday, or before the 31st birthday;
- have the equivalent of C$ 2,500 to help cover the expenses at the beginning of the stay;
- be prepared to take out health-care insurance for the duration of the stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enters Canada;
- pay a participation fee to the Consulate;
- have childcare experience (preferably) outside the family and at least 2 non-related character references;
- have completed the equivalent of Canadian secondary school education (to Year 12);
- provide a clear medical exam and criminal background check
You can read more about the Visa and the rules here:https://www.whpcanada.org.au/working_holiday-vacances_travail.shtml
Au Pairs are paid a weekly wage and work between 25 and 44 hours depending on the host family’s needs. Wages (live in) can be anywhere between $9.91 per hour up to $10.56 per hour depending on the province your family lives in. Room and board are deducted from your wage and wages, working hours and room and board vary depending on the province. Visa processing time is about 2 months. Au Pairs are considered part of the family and are usually placed in metropolitan areas such as Toronto, Vancouver or Ottawa.
You are free to do as you please in your free time (off hours), and a lot of the time the family may let you borrow the car on a mutual agreement.
How To Apply
You must complete our application form and attend an interview. We have interviewers based throughout NZ and your nearest one will contact you after we have received your application in full.There is no age limit.
With the application you will need to include
For complete details on what is required please see the Checklist for Application supplied with the application form.
The Live-in Caregiver program
is more for someone who is a preschool or nursery school teacher or has been working as an Au Pair or full-time nanny for at least 12 months before. After being in Canada and working for 2 years, the Live-in Caregivers will be able to apply for an open work permit and ultimately for a permanent resident status.