Educare in America
A great opportunity for young people to spend a year in the USA, studying part time at and American college or university while working and living with an American family
Study courses will be for a minimum of 6 hours a week. Courses offered will appeal to those who are looking to enhance their future career, perhaps increase their knowledge of a subject already studied or are looking for the opportunity to embark on something totally new. Courses include business administration, marketing, psychology, and economics.
In exchange for free room and board and a weekly payment of US$146.81, you will become a companion to your host family’s school aged children, 6 years and above and will be required to provide before and after school care for up to 30 hours per week. You will therefore have the free time to participate in the course of your choice. You will live with your host family as a member of their family.
There will be plenty of time to travel and discover the USA during your free time. With other international companions living in your area making new friends will not be a problem. Together you will have evenings, weekends, vacation time plus an additional 13th month at the end of your year to explore so many of those places in America you have always wanted to see.
What you get:
- Opportunity to experience the American culture and way of life for a year.
- Subsidised return flights from Auckland to the US and one-way transportation to your host family.
- At the end of your year you can fly to London for free (from New York).
- Private room and meals with a carefully screened host family.
- Weekly payment of US$146.81
- Two separate weeks of paid vacation and at least one complete weekend off each month.
- Optional travel month at the end of the year to travel within the US at your own expense.
- Medical insurance and personal liability cover of US$100,000.
- Up to US$1,000 towards tuition fees and course materials.
- 4 day Orientation Programme near New York City with full board and lodging.
- Year long support from your Community Counsellor
- access to a 24 hour toll-free emergency line and a programme of social activities with other EduCare companions
- An Exchange Visitor J-1 Visa, the only legal means of becoming an EduCare companion in the US.
To qualify for the EduCare programme you must:
- Be aged 18 to 26
- Have completed three years at high school
- Intend to apply to university on completion of the year or be a current university student or graduate
- Have experience caring for school age children (aged 6 years and above)
- Have held a full driving licence for at least 6 months and have frequent driving experience
What it costs
Only once you and your host family have agreed your placement will the following payments be required:
- US$1700 includes insurance, return flights and program fees - discounted to $1500US for those applications complete by 30 June 2013 and who are available to depart in 2013.
How to apply
Request a full colour brochure or apply online
Applications close 4 months before departures