Au Pair Extraordinaire
This programme was developed to fill the needs of families in America who only want fully qualified or very experienced nannies for their children.
American families highly value the childcare training, professionalism and expertise of fully qualified New Zealand nannies. If you are not sure which of our three levels of the programme you qualify for please see our main Nanny in America page.
Au Pair Extraordinaire:
- pays a net salary of US$250per week (live-in)
- gives the usual Au Pair in America benefits of discounted round trip flights to the USA or on to London
- full board and lodging in a private room
- four-day orientation and training programme near New York City
- US$500 tuition allowance toward study at a local college
- medical insurance of US$100,000 plus legal liability insurance cover of a similar amount
- and the services of the local Community Counsellor
- A legal J-1 Visa for 12 months plus one extra month to travel around USA
Accepted qualifications include:
- Diploma of Teaching (Early Childhood Education 0-3) (NZ01)
- CACHE DCE – Diploma in Childcare and Education (formerly NNEB)(NZ02)
- National Diploma in Early Childhood Education & Care (NZQA Level 7) (NZ03)
- NZ Certificate in Nanny Education (Level 5) plus 1 year full-time childcare experience. (NZ05)
- Certificate in Early Childhood Education and Care (NZQA Level 3) or NZQA L3 equivalent, plus 18 months full time childcare experience (NZ06)
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching) Primary or ECE Level (NZ07)
- HATNZ Certificate in Childcare (NZ08)
- Applicants with two years of recent full-time verifiable experience as a nanny, childcare provider or nursery school teacher who are at least 20 years old may also be accepted.
You are eligible if you hold a recognised approved childcare qualification from the above list OR you have sufficient work experience.
*Please note final acceptance for this programme is determined at interview and from your full application. Having these qualifications alone does not guarantee you acceptance for this higher rate of pay.
In addition, applicants must meet programme guidelines:
- be between 20 and 26 years old for the visa
- hold a full driving licence
- have 200 hours of childcare experience, preferably with under 2's
- have completed secondary education (three years at high school)
- speak English to a good standard
- not have a criminal record and be agree to a police record check
- agree to the programme's code of conduct and rules
- agree to a full year commitment
How can I become qualified ? I have the experience!
You can do the HATNZ Extramural Course from home - it's an amazing course an dmeans you can also keep working an earning while you save to go to America.